2015 has been some year for Third Outing and the world of alternative music. We've encountered the best of DIY, Dream Pop, Indie, from the weird and wonderful to the damn right incredible. Here we look back at the Third Outing starting 11 for the very best records of the year 2015.
Starting Line Up
GK: Dr Duloc - Portland Oregon In no particular order whatsoever we start with the gift that keeps on giving Dr Duloc. The forerunner of the Dublin Lo-Fi collection released one of the records of the year Bowl Cuts under Herzog TV and LLR in February, and it's something we still listen to today. A safe pair of hands at the back of the Third Outing FC starting 11.
RB: Petite League - Little Fourth Of July The band with the big attitude, Petite League are one of THE bands of 2015, no doubt. With the successful release of Slugger earlier this year, fuzz is rejuvenated with this thoughtful reflective pop effort. "Drunken Heartbreak" we described them as, and we are expecting even more in 2016.
CB: Pope - Hunter Mann The non-orthodox band were one of the first on the list with their blinding release Hunter Mann. Restoring the faith with their big vibe Lo-Fi, Pope is the direction New Orleans guitar music should be going and with any luck the 2015 release Fiction will be followed up with another revolutionary sound. "It's not because your sound is Lo-Fi that you won't make it. Think Syd Barrett, Stephen Malkmus, Robert Pollard. It’s because your sound isn't quite Pope".
CB: Dante Elephante - Never Trust A Junkie The winner of the most addictive song of the 2015. Ironic given the subject material, huh? Dante Elephante rock. There's no ifs or buts about it. The West Coasters released Anglo-Saxon Summer to huge applause this year and we are going as far to call them the new Pixies. Now listen to this song on repeat.
LB: Jackson Honeycutt - Sweetheart I've Noticed The famous left back position is usually reserved for the quiet guy. That ain't Honeycutt, but goodness me does his record Dog Years And Twilight Hours require some thoughtful listening. Taking the idea of DIY to the next level, Honeycutt has produced an album of top quality which rivals and betters his contemporaries Mac DeMarco and Elvis Depressedly. What a record. People must find out more about this guy.
RM: Puppy - Forever This is how we introduced this outstanding band. "There’s a lot of music on the internet: 95% is awful and painful to listen to. The other 5% is great. Both have their uses, 95% of the shit music makes the other 5% sound amazing. Now, amongst the remaining 5% there is average, decent, and then fucking brilliant music. Guess which one Puppy belongs to, huh? One of the true stand out records of the year with Puppy EP, we caught the guys at Dot To Dot festival and 2016 belongs to them.
CM: Sulky Boy - Balkan Baby He's the guy who poses in front of milk and more importantly Brighton's greatest music ambassador; Sulky Boy took Third Outing by great surprise with his incredible released Balkan Baby. Art Is Hard Records has already go hold of the Indie king of Brighton, so forget the semi-skimmed this boy is pure Gold Top for next year.
CM: Ghost King - Winters Air The band where less is truly more. Part of the school of Bronx, NYC, Ghost King are perhaps the greatest American export of the year. Imagine the scene over there, and then imagine how seriously cool it would be to see these NYC rockers take their music worldwide. Known for their heavy guitar riffs as well as their cut back acoustic gems, Ghost King are our big tip for 2016.
RM: Princess Reason - Your Divorce A truly outstanding track from a band you should expect everything from. “I can't wait for you to leave New York, I can't wait for you to get divorced" casually sings Jack Stansbury, leader of the indie rock outfit Princess Reason, in this jingle jangle Pop thriller of a record. Simple. Sincere. Scintillating.
CF: My Own Pet Radio - No Great Mystery The genius of My Own Pet Radio's Sam Cromack needs little introduction, nor is it in fact any great mystery. His music, the album Goodlum and indeed this star track taken from it is impeccable. A close second to the most addictive song of the year, this driving verse and spell binding chorus come together to give us one of the most complete tracks of the year. Going solo with this project might have been a lonely quest for Sam, but as he rightly states "I'm sorry I am what I am, thanks for coming".
CF: Trudy - Behave No starting line up would be complete without Third Outing's favourite northern rockers Trudy. Having released a whole host of unbelievable tracks in 2015, there really is little comparison to the band who "are gonna be their own thing dawg". Down and down and drunk, Behave is a stand out record of 2015 with its even more stand out guitar twangs and innocent vocal tendencies. A must listen. Our bet is Trudy go bigger and biggest next year.
There we have out starting 11 for the Third Outing FC record of the year. But the truth is, 2015 has seen far too many bands do truly great things. Deserved of a place in any starting 11 are our Third Outing top subs...
Keep an eye out and click on the the following greats Harley Alexander, Brunch, Richie Woods, Dune Witch Trials, The Mayberries, Here's Andy and finally Mercury Girls.